Master data > Contacts
Click +NEW on the top left above the overview to create a new customer, supplier, or employee master data record. The Create contact form is displayed. This form is identical for customers, suppliers, and employees.
When you click Save the first time, you can assign a role to the contact master data. A customer number, supplier number or employee number is assigned accordingly. You can assign more roles later on. In the Maintaining contact master data article you can find out, how you can add more roles.
Note concerning these instructions: All fields described in these instructions are optional unless marked as obligatory. We recommend you fill all fields relevant to you as best as possible, as many fields are used in other functionalities, and you can avoid manual rework.
If you are searching for information about a specific tab, you can use the following links to go directly to the relevant chapter:
Contact data tab
Master data section
1. Select the contact Type (e.g. Mr., Mrs., Company) and enter the name of the customer, supplier, or employee in the Name field (obligatory).
The selected Type decides which salutation will be used in your documents for to this contact and whether prices are shown with or without VAT. Do you need more address types than the existing address types, you can create other address types.
2. Enter further relevant information in the fields Title (e.g. Prof., Dr. etc.), Contact Person, Department, Subdepartment, Additional address, Street, PLZ/Place, State and Country.
3. Select the individual delivery terms for a customer or supplier in the Delivery term field.
Note: You need to create the Delivery terms in advance in the Delivery terms module. You can find more information about creating delivery terms in the Delivery conditions article.
4. Enter the 13-digit Global Location Number in the GLN field.
Note: The GLN is used for the unique identification of trade partners. This number is only relevant when using the EDI interface.
If you want to use another address for invoicing, activate the Dev. Billing address check box. Activating this check box opens a new address form below it. Enter your alternative billing address in this form.
Contact details section
- Enter the relevant information in the fields Phone, Fax, Mobile, Email, and Website.
The salutation will automatically be created based on the selected address type and the name entered. If you want to use another salutation, enter the salutation in the Cover letter field.
Here you can enter the assigned employees from your company and you can assign a project.
- Select the sales responsible in the Distribution field. If you use the Commissions module, the employee entered here will by default get commissions for any sales to this customer.
- Select the responsible back office employee in the Back office field. This employee is by default used as “Responsible” in documents.
- Select the main project for this customer, supplier, or employee in the Main Project field.
If the address was created via an online shop, the relevant shop is displayed in the Origin channel (shop) field.
In the Settings section you can add locks, define which language documents should be in and mark your contact master data as a lead.
- If a delivery block is to be applied, activate the Delivery block check box and enter the relevant information in the fields Date and Delivery block reason.
- Select the language in which you want to create this contacts documents in the Language for receipts field.
- Select Yes in the Customer approval field if you want to include manual authorization as intermediate step in the order process. The Customer authorization pane in the order will then turn green once the manual authorization has been carried out.
- Activate the Follow-up confirmation lock check box if no follow-up confirmation is to be sent to the customer. Otherwise, follow-up confirmations are automatically sent to the customer via a process starter when there are open orders and the goods have not yet been shipped.
- Activate the Tracking email block check box if no business letter template is to be sent to this customer, even if the tracking number has been confirmed and the Tracking mail check box in the project is activated.
- Activate the Marketing lock check box if you want no serial letters to be sent to this customer, e.g. if he has objected to the use of his data for this specific purpose.
- Activate the Lead check box to mark potential new customers. Leads are no regular customers. When you activate this check box, no customer number will be assigned and no sales orders can be created or shipped.
- In the Info for order entry field enter any information which should be shown during offer creation or order creation, e.g. requested delivery times.
- In the Miscellaneous field enter all other information you deem relevant.
Please save your data at this point if you haven’t already done so. Then continue with the remaining tabs.
Payment terms / taxation tab
In this tab you can enter default payment terms with early payment discounts and payment targets as well as the VAT ID. Furthermore, you can define which documents are to be created during auto-shipping.
Terms of payment of the customer for invoices section
In this section you can enter information concerning the payment terms for your customer. Supplier payment conditions are defined in the Payment conditions at the supplier for orders section next to this section.
- Activate the Establish payment terms check box if these payment terms must be used. They will take precedence over groups or price groups conditions this customer might be assigned to
- Select the payment method for this customer in the Payment method field. You need to create payment methods in advance in the Payment methods module. You can find more information about how to create payment methods in the Payment methods - workflow article.
- If you have selected Rechnung (Invoice) as payment method, you can enter further payment information in the fields Payment term (for invoice), Payment term discount (for invoice), and Discount (on invoice).
- In the Supplier number for the customer field enter your own supplier number at the customer, if known.
- If the customer has a subscription, select the default payment method for the subscription in the Payment method subscription field.
- Select in the Create receipts in auto-shipping field whether the delivery note, the invoice or both are to be sent during auto-shipping. These documents can be sent and printed, if required.
- In the Commission/consignment warehouse field select the commission or consignment warehouse that is to be used when sending products to this customer. This warehouse must exist in the system. You can find more information about how to create warehouses in the Setting up your warehouse article.
Payment conditions at the supplier for orders section
In this section you can enter payment terms information for your orders at this supplier.
- Select the payment method for this supplier in the Payment method field.
- Enter the payment information in the fields Payment term (in days), Payment term discount (in days), and Discount.
- Enter information about the delivery method of this supplier in the Delivery method field. This information is only for internal use.
- In the Customer ID at the supplier field enter your own customer number (debtor number) at the supplier, if known.
- Select in the Taxation liabilities field whether the taxation of liabilities is based on Domestic, EU Delivery, or Import.
- Enter a text in the Supplier note text field. This text is shown on the customer document when a product with this supplier as default supplier is added.
You can add tax information as well as the default currency and customs information here.
Enter the complete customer VAT ID including the short country code in the field VAT ID.
Note: The VAT ID is necessary for deliveries within the EU to determine if the customer is exempt from sales tax.
- Enter the tax number of the customer or supplier in the tax number field.
- In the Taxation field select whether the taxation basis is Domestic, EU delivery/delivery threshold, Export or Tax-free domestic.
- Select the default currency of your customer/supplier in the Standard currency field.
- Activate the Do not apply the delivery threshold check box if you do not want to apply rules defined in the Delivery threshold module.
- In the Display tax on receipts field select whether you want the tax on the receipt to be displayed as net amount, gross amount or automatically. If you select the option automatically, the information will be drawn from the project settings or the basic settings.
- Enter any customs information in the Customs information text field. The content of this field will be displayed on the documents.
In this section you can find the customer number, supplier number, or employee number as well as deviating debtor or creditor information.
Customer number: The system will automatically assign a customer number (creditor number) based on the relevant number series. This field can be edited manually.
Warning: Only change the customer number in exceptional circumstances as any interference with the number series can result in system problems.
Supplier no.: The system will automatically assign a supplier number (debtor number) based on the relevant number series. This field can be edited manually.
Warning: Only change the customer number in exceptional circumstances as any interference with the number series can result in system problems.
Employee No.: The system will automatically assign an employee number based on the relevant number series.
If the debtor and creditor numbers are different in accounting and Xentral, you can enter the deviating number in the fields Dev. Customer or vendor number.
Bank details tab
- Please enter the following bank information: Owner, Bank, BIC, IBAN, Mandate reference and Mandate reference date.
If you do not enter an owner, the system will automatically use the name from your contact master data record.
Note: The IBAN is checked on plausibility starting from version 21.1. If it is incorrect, i.e. the letter/number sequence is not correct or too few or too many characters have been entered, the following error message will be displayed below the field in Xentral when clicking outside the window: IBAN nicht korrekt. Bitte Eingabe prüfen. (IBAN incorrect. Please check entry).
The mandate reference for the SEPA mandate is assigned when a SEPA mandate for a bank account is created.
- If you have selected Lastschrift (direct debit) as payment method, you can in the Direct debit Art field selecz whether it is a one-time direct debit or a repeating direct debit as well as whether it is a first time direct debit or a subsequent direct debit.
- Activate the Mandate reference change check box if the mandate reference has been changed since the last direct debit transaction. As a result, a new XML file is created in SEPA format.
- Activate the Company SEPA check box to create a SEPA mandate specifically for companies.
- Enter further relevant information in the Comment field.
Paypal (for payments) section
In this section you can enter Paypal information for your contact.
Enter your information in the fields Owner, Currency, and Paypal account (this is the Paypal user name, generally the email address).
Documents delivery options tab
In this tab you can define shipping and printing options for the available document types.
General shipping options section
- Activate the Always paper invoice check box if a paper invoice is to be produced during auto-shipping in addition to the email invoice. Selecting this check box will print out an additional paper invoice.
- Enter the amount of printouts for shipping in the Number of invoice printouts field. This input is evaluated in the shipping center (logistics process delivery note + retrieve + scan) and in multi-order picking (extra module). This option can be used for B2B or export invoices but is not a regularly used functionality.
Email recipient and Email copy recipient sections
For each document type you can define a separate email recipient in the Email recipient section. If required, further recipients can be defined to receive a copy of a document by defining them in the Email copy recipient section.
Note: You can only enter one email address in each field.
Fax copy recipient section
- Activate the Order by fax preferred check box when the option Fax should be preselected in orders.
Other data tab
In this tab you can add other potentially relevant information like postage, commission, geo data, etc.
Sales/back office section
- If your company works with commissions, add the commission percentage in the Commission field. This commission is paid when an invoice was created for this customer and it was paid by the customer.
Postage/shipping method section
- Enter the net sales amount necessary for the shipping to the customer to be free in the Postage free active field.
- Select the shipping provider for this customer in the Shipping method field.
- Activate the No age test necessary check box if no age verification for this customer is required.
Postage at the supplier section
- Enter the net sales amount necessary for the shipping from the supplier to be free in the Postage free active field.
- Enter the date of birth of your customer or contact person at the supplier in the birthday field, if applicable.
- Activate the show in calendar check box if you want the birthday to be displayed in your calendar.
- Activate the Birthday card check box if you want to send a birthday card via the serial letter module.
Note: The date of birth is deemed sensitive, personal data. Always consider GDPR compliance when entering and using this date.
Financial accounting section
- Enter the clearing account for any travel expenses In the Travel expenses field.
- Enter the customers credit limit in € in the Credit limit field. The credit limit is used in the order traffic light system, i.e. if the total amount of the order exceeds the credit limit entered here, the corresponding traffic light turns to red and auto-shipping is no longer possible.
Human resources settings section
Note: Only relevant for employee master data.
Enter the employees weekly working hours in the Working hours per week field.
Free fields section
In this section you can add free fields to your contact master data. You can define free field attributes in the company data. You can maintain values for each contact.
This information is filled by the system. Latitude and longitude of the contact address can be determined automatically via the process starter Openstreetmap in connection with OpenStreetMap. They will be shown in the fields Latitude and Längengrad (longitude).
In this section you can enter a unique ID for simplified imports of time recordings, products, etc.
- In the Unique identifier field enter a freely definable ID consisting of capital letters. This can be used as an alternative to the customer number or name to book on the contact master data (e.g. in time recording).
You can store freely maintainable texts in the logbook, which can be evaluated by external programs, if the address is called via the Xentral API.
The Entries field is only used by externally connected tools, you cannot enter text here. If the field is called by an external tool via the API, only Text lesend (reading text) is displayed.