Table of Contents
- Pro and con warehousing
- Management of stock items
- Creating warehouses and racks
- Build storage structure
- Storage labels
You use the warehouse structure to set warehouses and storage places in xentral. You then store the products in these.
Fulfillment > warehouse management
Note: Until version 21.1, the menu item Fulfillment was called Inventory.
Pro and con inventory management
The following is about why or why not you should make use of warehousing.
You don't need to keep inventory if you don't want to record inventory quantities, since e.g. only few articles are present, and an overview prevails. In this case it is nevertheless advisable to create at least one main warehouse with a shelf place.
The argument in favor of warehousing is that there are items for which the stock quantities should be tracked. In the item details, for these items, you check the option Stock item to activate their stock management. Only then can you enter stocks for this article.
Stock item management
You have two different ways to manage your stock items. You either store them in one storage place or in different ones.
Storage in one storage place
Putting away in a single storage place makes sense if the warehouse is not large and you don't need a storage subdivision.
Storage in different storage places
Putting stock items into storage in different storage places is the same as dividing the warehouse into different storage placess. This is the case when one storage place is not enough and becomes unmanageable. If necessary even different warehouses are meaningful with spatial separation, thus e.g. different floors, buildings or equal to an external warehouse.
Creating warehouses and shelves
The following section shows you how to create warehouses and shelves in xentral.
A warehouse in xentral basically always consists of 2 levels:
- Storage: name for the location, room, floor, etc
- Shelf: designation for shelf, compartment, visible box, etc. → Actual storage location, which is queried during storage/retrieval is queried in xentral
In most cases, there is, for example, a main warehouse in which shelves form the individual warehouse structure.
You create a new warehouse under Fulfillment > Warehouse Management > +NEW:
The following fields are to be filled:
- Inventory: Enter the storage name here
- Project: Enter a project manually or select via the magnifying glass icon to select a previously created project from the list. This entry is optional, you can also leave it empty
- Address: Enter an address manually or select a pre-created one via the magnifying glass icon to select a previously created address from the list. This entry is optional, you can also leave it empty
Finally click on Save.
After that, you can add the individual storage places in the tab Shelves > Create new shelf:
Only the name here is a mandatory field. You can only use letters and numbers. Special characters and especially spaces do not work.
Storage types are left empty by default, unless an option applies to the Shelf space.
The special shelf types will be described here.
The storage properties are optional and are for informational purposes only. These values are not evaluated in xentral.
Build warehouse structure
By naming the storage locations (shelves), you can build up any storage structure you like.
Case study of a standard warehouse structure:
Room + shelf + compartment + visible storage box
Explanation of designation:
- HL: Room: should it be several rooms, is immediately evident, in which room the article is stored
- 0101: Shelf and compartments: the first 2-digit number stands for the shelf, the last two digits for the compartment
- A: Compartment division: e.g. in each case a separate visible storage box. or an ESD box with several compartment subdivisions
More examples of a useful warehouse designation can be found in our Manual.
If you use storage labels you must make sure that they contain the name of the storage place and not the storage place ID. In xentral you can only scan storage places by name.
Here is the way to Step 15 - Import addresses