Table of Contents
- Book licenses
- Set up user account
- Examples of rights assignment
- Use permissions file
- Special rights in the project dashboard
Each xentral instance requires at least one active user license. If you want to add additional user licenses, you can easily do so from within your instance. To do so, go to App Center > Buy License. Then click on the green plus symbol.
Note: Until version 21.1 it's via My Area > License.
The user will automatically be added to your monthly subscription and you can set up a new user account.
Set up user account
The following steps are necessary to fully create a user account:
Create address for the user (employee)
Assign employee role
Create new user
Link address to this user
Make settings in the user account (e.g. rights settings)
Create a new address for the employee directly: Master data > Address
- Enter name (if necessary, also directly other data)
You can also find more information about the address here.
Assign employee role
Go directly to the Role tab and assign the following role:
- Role: "Employee"
- From: "Project"
- Project field: please leave this field empty (alternatively: fill with the project fill for which the employee should receive the rights)
- Finally click on Create as new role
Result: The address has now received a sequential employee number from the number range and the authorization to see the activities for one or more projects. Several projects can have a number of roles assigned. The employee number is only assigned for the first time (analogous to customer number, supplier number). Independently of it, the assignment of the menu points takes place. These are assigned directly in the administration area User individually. Further information about Groups can be found here.
Practical tip: If you do not need/want to divide the rights project-specific project-specific, please create in the standard the role employee and leave the project field empty. Then the user automatically gets the authorization for new projects that are added later. This is especially advisable since data that does not have a project assignment cannot be seen by users who do not have the role assignment to ALL projects. Only Administrators can always see all data.
Create new user
Administration > Settings > System > Basic settings > User
- Create a new user via the +NEW button
- Assign the previously specified address to the user
- Assign the account type:
- Administrator: unrestricted user with all rights
- User: user with many rights but e.g.: restrictions on system settings or on departments/teams/areas
- Allow remote access: only if required (e.g. for field staff). or if xentral was installed on an external server, e.g. the xentral cloud
You can also find more information about user management here.
Make settings in user account
Now the rights can be assigned in the user (Rights tab): it is best to first consider which menu items the employee should get.
- The employee receives all rights to the module Order if you have all Rights assigned (assigned rights are marked in blue)
- For example, if the employee should only receive the order overview, assign only the right "Order → list"
- How do I find out the individual right?
- Click on Sales > Order
- Click on the top of the browser line: here you can see: module=order&action=list
- Module: always displays the main item
- Action: always displays the single right
Assignment of a menu item: Is usually the single right "list". In practice it is best to click on the desired menu item yourself in the admin account. The browser line will then show you the right to be assigned.
The system log is a help function to find, in the multitude of single rights, the missing right (naming with module and action) for a user. The system log can be found under Administration > Appstore > System log. If an employee clicks on an action for which he/she does not have the right, he/she will receive a corresponding message. If you want to reassign this right, check the system log for which button the employee had clicked when this message appeared.
For example, employee 1 still needs the right:
- Modules: Calendar
- Action: Data
Some permissions do not trigger an entry in the system log because the function is not clickable or the menu item is not apparent to the user. Enclosed are examples for special rights:
Take over document/address
An address/a document/certain operations can be edited only by one person. If the person is slow in this process or possibly currently not at the place, but nevertheless logged in, can another authorized person can take over the process. All unsaved information of the "first owner" will be lost. If you cannot reach the person, you can still process urgent orders in this way. The button is not visible to the user.
Button was shown with "Welcome" and "unlock":
Module: Welcome Action: unlock
Buttons and actions
Buttons and actions are usually not individual rights but access modules, so to speak, cross-links to another module and pull the rights there. E.g. in a document when inserting a contact person, the rights of the address are accessed. The user account must have these rights unlocked. They are located in the Address module. Button: Delivery address, Contact person.
Module: Address Action: contact person popup Action: delivery address popup
Non-restriction per project Please keep in mind that no entry is created in the system log if a user does not see certain data due to missing project assignments. Then the corresponding project must be assigned as role Employee, or if the data has no project assignment, set the role employee to ALL projects.
In this example, Offer has all permissions assigned except for Write Protect and Share. Module: Offer Action: enable Action: write-protect
- List: Is always the view of the table e.g. address list is the address table from outside
- Edit: Click in and edit
- Minidetail: Is in the overview always the gray little arrow to expand. (this may also already suffice for articles or addresses)
You can also download a user's permissions as a file and upload it to another user again. There is the download icon in the overview.
To upload the file again with another user, you can click in the user at the very bottom under Upload rights file to store the file.
For the dashboard in the project, you now have additional settings options, to customize/restrict the views of the users.